Yesterday we discussed why I think it is important to leave turkeys off of our tables (on Thanksgiving and always). You may be wondering what to make for your holiday meal instead.
This was one of the many recipes that we made during our cooking class last week and it is incredibly delicious. Plus, it is comforting, warm and perfect for this time of year with its’ main ingredient being pumpkin.
I hope that you will give it a try and let me know what you think.
*This recipe has been modified from Fresh Creations. For more information, check out @freshcreationssd on Instagram.
“Cheesy” Kale Casserole
- 2 1/2 lbs Pureed Pumpkin (*we used organic, pureed pumpkin from cans instead of whole pumpkins. The directions below are for the canned option)
- 1 Yellow Onion (small dice)
- 3 Garlic Cloves (minced)
- 1 can Organic Coconut Milk (15 oz can)
- 2 cups Kale Leaves (removed from stem and leaves cut thin)
- 1 tbsp Fresh Sage (minced)
- 1/4 cup Nutritional Yeast
- 2 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 1/3 tbsp Bread Crumbs (*we used gluten free)
- 1 Bag of Macaroni (*again we used gluten free)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In an extra large sauce pan or skillet, heat oil over medium heat and cook onions for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add minced garlic and sage and continue cooking until onions are carmelized.
- While onions are carmelizing, cook pasta of choice using directions on package. Strain and set aside.
- Add pureed pumpkin, coconut milk and nutritional yeast to carmelized onion sage and garlic mixture. Stir/mix together. Cook 4 minutes.
- Add shredded kale leaves, stir everything together and let it simmer for 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Combine pasta with pumpkin and kale mixture.
- Scoop into individual ramekins or a 9×9 baking dish. Top with bread crumbs of choice. Bake for 10 minutes or until bread crumbs are golden brown.
- Garnish with green onion or chili pepper flakes (you can also add some tempeh bacon).
I truly hope that you enjoy this recipe! Please remember that it is absolutely possible to have an amazing, and satisfying, holiday meal without consuming animal products ❤