Happy Food Friday!! If you are looking for a delicious dish to make this weekend, look no further. This recipe is dairy free, gluten free, vegan and is comforting!
Please click on the video below for the full cooking demonstration on how to make potato nachos.
I hope that you enjoy and have a great weekend!
We are just days away from Thanksgiving and you may still be wondering what amazing, vegan dessert you can bring to your holiday meal. Well, look no further! This recipe is incredibly easy to make, involves no baking, and is gluten free.
*This recipe has been modified a bit. The original is from Fresh Creations.
Vegan Pumpkin Pie Cheesecakes (12 servings)
- 1.5 cups Raw Pecans
- 1 cup Medjool Dates (soaked in warm water for 10 minutes)
- 1/4 tsp Sea Salt
- 1 cup Cashews (soaked in hot water for 1 hour)
- 1/2 cup Light Coconut Milk
- 1/2 cup Canned Pumpkin Puree (BPA free can preferred)
- 1/2 cup Maple Syrup
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 cup Lemon Juice
- Soak the cashews for one hour and soak the dates for 10 minutes.
- Line a muffin tin with plastic wrap or liners.
- Make the crust in a food processor: blend the pecans until ground, then add the soft dates (without the pits), and sea salt. Pulse well until combined.
- Transfer the mixture into the muffin tin and press down until crust is formed. The crust is really sticky and it helps if you use your fingers to press it down.
- Place tin in the freezer for 15 minutes.
- In the meantime, prepare the filling. In a high speed blender, blend all of the ingredients for the filling until smooth and creamy.
- Remove tin from the freezer and pour the filling over the pecan crust.
- Freeze the cheesecakes for about 3-4 hours, or until firm.
- Let them thaw for a few minutes before eating.
Yesterday we discussed why I think it is important to leave turkeys off of our tables (on Thanksgiving and always). You may be wondering what to make for your holiday meal instead.
This was one of the many recipes that we made during our cooking class last week and it is incredibly delicious. Plus, it is comforting, warm and perfect for this time of year with its’ main ingredient being pumpkin.
I hope that you will give it a try and let me know what you think.
*This recipe has been modified from Fresh Creations. For more information, check out @freshcreationssd on Instagram.
“Cheesy” Kale Casserole
- 2 1/2 lbs Pureed Pumpkin (*we used organic, pureed pumpkin from cans instead of whole pumpkins. The directions below are for the canned option)
- 1 Yellow Onion (small dice)
- 3 Garlic Cloves (minced)
- 1 can Organic Coconut Milk (15 oz can)
- 2 cups Kale Leaves (removed from stem and leaves cut thin)
- 1 tbsp Fresh Sage (minced)
- 1/4 cup Nutritional Yeast
- 2 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 1/3 tbsp Bread Crumbs (*we used gluten free)
- 1 Bag of Macaroni (*again we used gluten free)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In an extra large sauce pan or skillet, heat oil over medium heat and cook onions for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add minced garlic and sage and continue cooking until onions are carmelized.
- While onions are carmelizing, cook pasta of choice using directions on package. Strain and set aside.
- Add pureed pumpkin, coconut milk and nutritional yeast to carmelized onion sage and garlic mixture. Stir/mix together. Cook 4 minutes.
- Add shredded kale leaves, stir everything together and let it simmer for 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Combine pasta with pumpkin and kale mixture.
- Scoop into individual ramekins or a 9×9 baking dish. Top with bread crumbs of choice. Bake for 10 minutes or until bread crumbs are golden brown.
- Garnish with green onion or chili pepper flakes (you can also add some tempeh bacon).
I truly hope that you enjoy this recipe! Please remember that it is absolutely possible to have an amazing, and satisfying, holiday meal without consuming animal products ❤
It has definitely turned into Fall in Southern California, and the temperature has started dropping in the evenings. I am craving nothing but warm, comfort foods for dinner and this is one of our favorites. I am not sure that there are many healthy, dinner recipes out there that are this easy.
Baked Stuffed Sweet Potato (serves 2)
*2 medium-sized sweet potatoes
*3/4 can of black beans
*Your choice of veggies (we prefer cherry tomatoes, carrots, spinach, bell pepper, zucchini, red onion)
*Optional: salsa, guacamole or vegan butter
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Poke holes in your sweet potatoes with a fork.
- Cook sweet potatoes until they are soft, all the way through (approximately 45 minutes).
- In the meantime, chop and saute your vegetables and black beans.
- When the sweet potatoes have finished cooking, pull them out of the oven. Slice them open (length wise) and mash the insides with a fork.
- Add your veggies, black beans, salsa and guacamole.
*I will sometimes add guacamole, salsa or vegan butter to the sweet potato before piling on my veggies. This helps take away from the dryness of the sweet potato.
Have you ever been so obsessed with a recipe that you just cannot stop talking about it (and eating it)?! That is how I feel about my chickpea salad recipe. It is so easy to make and I could probably eat it for lunch and dinner on a daily basis (maybe breakfast too?).
I have previously posted the recipe for this amazing meal, but I also wanted to share a quick, cooking demo for those visual learners out there.
Please take a few minutes to watch the video and make sure to let me know if you give this recipe a go! I would love to hear if you are obsessed with it as I am :).
And just like that summer has disappeared…..
Hello, my wonderful friends!
I just realized that it has been almost an entire summer season since I posted last. I had a summer full of activism, sanctuaries, fitness, friends and of course, food! And I wanted to share our favorite, summer recipe, that we ate time and time again. Honestly, we probably still make this recipe 2-3 times per week and never get sick of it!!
It is delicious, easy to make, packed with protein, and is great to share at parties, barbecues or even just with a friend for lunch. I hope that you enjoy it as much as we do.
Chickpea Salad Sandwich
- 1-15 oz. can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 3 ½ Tablespoons Vegenaise (or other vegan mayonnaise)
- 1 ½ celery stalks, chopped
- ¼ red onion, chopped finely
- ¼ red apple, chopped finely
- ½ teaspoon yellow mustard
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 ½ teaspoon dill
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 small dill pickle, chopped finely
- Black pepper to taste
- 6 Vegan Bread Slices, preferably Sourdough
- Drain and rinse chickpeas.
- Put the chickpeas in a mixing bowl and mash them with a fork.
- Add the Vegenaise and stir well.
- Add the other ingredients, stirring periodically.
- Toast the bread.
- Add the chickpea salad to your bread and enjoy.
**Feel free to include any additional sandwich ingredients including: avocado, lettuce, tomato, cucumbers.
Click here for a cooking demo for this recipe!