Happy Food Friday!! If you are looking for a delicious dish to make this weekend, look no further. This recipe is dairy free, gluten free, vegan and is comforting!
Please click on the video below for the full cooking demonstration on how to make potato nachos.
I hope that you enjoy and have a great weekend!
The question that I get asked the most is, “What do you eat on a vegan and gluten free diet?” In today’s video, I will show you just that.
I am starting a mini-series on easy to make breakfasts: food for real, busy people! Today’s video is the first in this collection.
Please check it out when you have a chance….there may even be a small cameo from my dog 🙂
Have a great rest of your week and I will be back with even more food next week!
I hope that you are having an incredible weekend! It is cold and rainy here in San Diego, which means it’s the perfect time for a warm meal….maybe Mac and cheese?!
Here is a recipe for our favorite, dairy-free (and warm) “cheese” sauce. This recipe was originally found on a blog called Vegan Yumminess and we have modified it slightly. I hope that you enjoy it.
Dairy-Free Cheese Sauce
- 1 cup chopped yellow potatoes
- 1/4 cup chopped carrots
- 1/3 cup chopped yellow onion
- 3/4 cup water (use the warm water from the pot of boiled veggies)
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 1/4 cup coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- a few drops of Sriracha (optional, this will kick up the spice!)
- Wash and chop veggies.
- Bring a medium to large pot of water to a boil. Add the chopped potatoes, carrots and onions. Cook for about 10 minutes or until vegetables are soft enough to blend.
- In the meantime, put the remaining ingredients into a blender or Vitamix.
- When the veggies are done, drain the water (leaving 3/4 cup water to add to the blender).
- Add the soft veggies and water to the blender or Vitamix.
- Blend all of the ingredients until smooth.
- Pour the warm sauce over pasta for Mac and cheese or use it as a sauce for baked potatoes. The sauce is also great for dipping veggies or on a sandwich.
- Enjoy…and make sure to tag me on Instagram if you make this recipe :). I would love to see your creations.
I hope that you had a wonderful holiday season and are enjoying 2019!
It has been awhile since I have written a blog and have some big things coming up in the following year. For today, I wanted to kick off my blogging year with some information about daily use items (and some food) that may not be vegan.
Sometimes I think the most difficult part of going vegan isn’t the food but is switching out all of the items in your home that contain animal products.
Here are just a few of our every day items that may contain animal products:
Razors: most razors have a lubricating strip above the blade that contains lanolin or glycerin (lanolin is a wool byproduct that comes from sheep while glycerin can also be derived from animals. I prefer to use Preserve Razors. They are vegan and are made from recycled yogurt cups.
Lipstick: red lipstick often contains cochineal, which is made from crushed beetles. Tallow, which is made from rendering animal fat, is also found in many cosmetics. The animals used to make tallow come from sources such as labs, slaughterhouses, zoos and even roadkill! I try to find vegan lipsticks from Beauty Counter, Arbonne, or Elf Cosmetics.
White sugar: the refining process for white sugar often comes from bone char, a granular material from animal ashes.
Beer: beer and wine both can contain Isinglass, a chemical found in fish bladders. It is best to buy products that say “vegan” on the label.
Supplements/medication/vitamins: be careful to read the ingredients on these items. They often contain dairy and gelatin.
Nail polish: nail polish often contains guanine, which is made from ground-up fish scales. It is also found in cleaning products, fragrances, hair conditioners and skin care products.
PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT IF YOU HAVE ANY RECOMMENDATIONS FOR ANY OF THE ABOVE ITEMS.
Also, please make sure to contact me if you need any help with the transition process ❤