I hope that you are having an incredible weekend! It is cold and rainy here in San Diego, which means it’s the perfect time for a warm meal….maybe Mac and cheese?!
Here is a recipe for our favorite, dairy-free (and warm) “cheese” sauce. This recipe was originally found on a blog called Vegan Yumminess and we have modified it slightly. I hope that you enjoy it.
Dairy-Free Cheese Sauce
- 1 cup chopped yellow potatoes
- 1/4 cup chopped carrots
- 1/3 cup chopped yellow onion
- 3/4 cup water (use the warm water from the pot of boiled veggies)
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 1/4 cup coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- a few drops of Sriracha (optional, this will kick up the spice!)
- Wash and chop veggies.
- Bring a medium to large pot of water to a boil. Add the chopped potatoes, carrots and onions. Cook for about 10 minutes or until vegetables are soft enough to blend.
- In the meantime, put the remaining ingredients into a blender or Vitamix.
- When the veggies are done, drain the water (leaving 3/4 cup water to add to the blender).
- Add the soft veggies and water to the blender or Vitamix.
- Blend all of the ingredients until smooth.
- Pour the warm sauce over pasta for Mac and cheese or use it as a sauce for baked potatoes. The sauce is also great for dipping veggies or on a sandwich.
- Enjoy…and make sure to tag me on Instagram if you make this recipe :). I would love to see your creations.