Hey everyone, happy Wednesday!
I will keep this one short and sweet, because looking at this picture has me hungry 🙂
There are some amazing, plant based cheeses on the market. However, sometimes I want something that isn’t processed and is whole food plant based.
This is by far and away our favorite, dairy free “cheese” sauce. We use it on Mac, as a dipping sauce for veggies, or even as a spread on a sandwich. It is delicious!
*Note: this is not my recipe. I found this recipe here. However, I wanted to share it with you because through all of the cheese recipes we have tried, this one was the yummiest (is that a word?!)!
- 1 cup peeled/diced yellow potatoes (or russets)
- 1/4 cup peeled/diced carrots
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 3/4 cup water (preferably use liquid from pot of boiled veggies)
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 1/4 cup coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast flakes
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3/4 to 1 teaspoon salt (or more to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 pinch paprika
- Boil several cups of water in a small pot. Place chopped potatoes, carrots, and onion in the boiling water, and cook for about 10 minutes, or until vegetables are tender and soft enough to blend. Cooking time will vary slightly, based on how small you have chopped your veggies.
- When veggies are soft enough to blend, use a slotted spoon to remove them from cooking water, and place them in your blender. Add 3/4 cup of that cooking water to your blender, along with your remaining ingredients (including cashews).
- Blend until smooth.
I hope that you enjoy this recipe. Please let me know what you think!