I had an amazing weekend with a trip to a local farm sanctuary (blog coming soon!) and I met my first cow!!! She was incredibly smart, docile and was one of the sweetest animals I have ever met. While hearing her story, the one thing that stuck out most was the fact that she was rescued at just ONE HOUR OLD! This truly shocked me and led me to do some serious research on the dairy industry. Here are some of my findings and why I truly think that we should all eliminate dairy from our diets.
***Before I continue, just a note that I have also created a short video for my visual learners out there. Here is the link if you prefer this to reading the facts:
There are SO many reasons to give up dairy but let’s start with some of the HEALTH reasons:
- First, no other species drinks milk from another species. Hmmm……
- Second, a mama cow produces milk for her baby calf. The calf drinks this milk in order to grow into a large animal. A very large animal (a dairy cow can weigh 1,400-1,600 pounds)! So, what do we think that milk is doing to us?! It is contributing to weight gain and obesity.
- In addition, dairy has been linked in numerous studies to an increased risk for certain cancers: prostate, lung, breast and ovarian.
- SO GROSS! When dairy cows are milked over and over, it often causes infections and will create pus. The FDA actually allows some pus in our milk. So not only are we drinking antibiotics and hormones, but we are drinking pus and eating coagulated pus (cheese!) 😦
- While we may enjoy the taste of dairy, we absolutely do not need it for any health reasons. While the milk industry has us believe that we need it for calcium, we can actually get all of the calcium we need from the same place that our cows get it from: PLANTS!
And now, let’s discuss the ETHICAL reasons:
- Just like humans, a dairy cow will only produce milk if she is pregnant or has given birth. Therefore, she is artificially inseminated over and over again for the entirety of her short life (they are often killed at 4-5 years old where normally they can live into their 20’s). This is done while they are connected to what the industry calls a “rape rack.”
- Once the mom has given birth, the farmers do not want the babies to drink the milk so the calf is ripped away from his/her mom. The mom screams in agony for days.
- If the calf is a boy, he will be killed for veal. If the calf is a female, she will be sentenced to the same life as her mom.
- They will all end up being killed and used for meat.
There are so many other reasons not to consume dairy, including its extreme contribution to climate change. However, that is probably enough fun for today. If you want to learn more or read the facts yourself please check out the following resources:
*Cowspiracy http://www.cowspiracy.com NETFLIX
*Forks Over Knives https://www.forksoverknives.com NETFLIX
*What the Health http://www.whatthehealthfilm.com NETFLIX
*Best Speech You Will Ever Hear https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=es6U00LMmC4
*Dairy is Scary: The industry explained in 5 minutes https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcN7SGGoCNI
***I am sorry for this blog. I normally try to remain happy and full of smiles, but this is something that needs to be shared. I will be back soon with some positivity. In the meantime, please consider switching to plant based options for your dairy. There are some great options out there that help us become healthy all while choosing compassion.