I posted a beautiful picture of this salad a few days ago and people have been asking for the recipe. So here you go! It is unbelievably easy to make and is refreshing, especially on a hot day like the one we are experiencing in San Diego 🙂
**I absolutely cannot take credit for this recipe. It is from The No Meat Athlete Cookbook, that I highly recommend checking out.
Greek Chopped Salad (makes 2 main course, or 4 appetizer salads)
- 2 romaine hearts, washed, dried, and chopped
- 1 red or yellow bell pepper, roasted or raw, chopped
- 1 large tomato, diced, or 1 cup halved grape tomatoes
- 1 cup cooked chickpeas
- 1/2 cup chopped cucumber
- 1/2 cup pitted Kalamata olives
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 1/2 batch Marinated Tofu Feta (see below)
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons Cashew Tzatziki (see below)
- Whole grain pita wedges or pita chips
- Lemon wedges
- Place the lettuce in a large bowl. Arrange the bell pepper, tomato, chickpeas, cucumbers, olives, onion and tofu feta on top.
- Drizzle with the cashew tzatziki, then arrange the pita around the edges. Serve with lemon wedges.
Marinated Tofu Feta:
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- One 16-ounce package sprouted or extra-firm tofu drained and crumbled
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (Optional: omit)
Combine the lemon juice, oregano, salt, crushed red pepper, and garlic powder in a large glass container with a lid. Add the tofu and toss to combine. Add the olive oil and toss again. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour or up to 3 days before serving.
CONFESSION #1: I accidentally messed up the spice measurements and cooked the tofu a bit. It was still really good 🙂
- 1/2 cup chopped English cucumber
- 1/4 cup Cashew Cream (1 cup raw cashews, soaked in hot water for one hour and drained, 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 to 1 cup water blended in food processor)
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
Combine all the ingredients in a medium bowl. Serve immediately or refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 2 days.
CONFESSION 2: I accidentally just made the cashew Cream for the salad and it worked perfectly. Next time, I will make sure to try the “tzatziki” 🙂
I know it looks like a lot of work but it was actually really easy. I hope that you enjoy it and please make sure to check out The No Meat Athlete Cookbook.