Today marks the first official day of summer and here in Southern California (at 109 degrees in my backyard), we are feeling the heat! Sometimes it feels almost impossible to beat the warm weather, but here are some tips to try to make it better 🙂
- This one is the most obvious: try to stay inside, out of the sun, and in your AC! Wait until the sun has set to try to do any work or exercise outdoors.
- Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate!!! Not only is a good idea to drink plenty of water during the heat, but it is important to drink prior to those hot days. Once you are feeling the effects of being dehydrated, it’ll be hard to catch up. Also, remember that tea, coffee and alcohol do not count for hydration. Your body needs H2O! Try adding some mint, cucumber, or cold berries to your water to make it more refreshing.
- The last thing we want to do during these hot days is to eat. However, your body is burning calories just trying to keep you cool and it needs the nourishment. Stick to cold foods: salads and smoothies.
- If you don’t have AC in your house, this one is a must! Fill up a spray bottle with cold water and give yourself a good spritz throughout the day 🙂
- For night time relief from the heat this tip is my favorite and something that my husband and I did constantly when we didn’t have AC. A few hours prior to bed, wet a washcloth, stick it in a zip lock bag, and freeze it. You can also freeze a water bottle. Snuggle up to it when you go to bed and it’ll keep you cool until you fall asleep.
- If you are able to sleep with your bedroom window open, this one is for you. Once it has cooled down a bit, take your fan and face it with the blades facing out. It’ll suck the warm air out of the house and pull the cool air in.
I hope that these tips will help keep everyone cool so that you can enjoy the summer! Please don’t forget to take care of your fur babies during the heat as well 🙂