Happy Meatless Monday!
Do you ever wonder how to make an amazing, meatless meal that is satisfying and yummy?! Well, here you go! This is my absolute favorite vegan recipe from The Oh She Glows Cookbook.
Sweet Potato & Black Bean Enchiladas with Avocado-Cilantro Cream Sauce
For the enchiladas:
-2 cups sweet potato, peeled and chopped small
-1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
-1 red onion, chopped
-2 large cloves garlic, minced
-fine-grain sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
-1 (15 oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
-2 large handfuls of spinach, roughly chopped
-2 1/2 cups enchilada sauce (we buy ours at Sprouts/Jimbo’s)
-1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
-1 teaspoon chili powder, or to taste
-1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
-5 sprouted-grain tortilla wraps or gluten free tortillas
-1 bell pepper, chopped
For the avocado-cilantro cream sauce:
-1/2 cup fresh cilantro
-1 medium avocado, pitted
-2 tablespoons lime juice
-1/4 teaspoon fine-grain sea salt
-1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Lightly grease a large rectangular baking dish.
2. Make enchiladas: place the sweet potato in a medium saucepan and add enough water to cover. Bring the water to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium-high and simmer for 5-7 minutes, or until fork tender. Drain and set aside.
3. In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and sauté for about 5 minutes, until the onion is translucent. Season with sea salt and pepper.
4. Add the bell pepper, cooked sweet potato, black beans and spinach. Raise heat to medium-high and cook for a few minutes more, until spinach is wilted.
5. Remove the skillet from the heat and stir in 1/4 cup of enchilada sauce, the lime juice, chili powder, cumin and salt.
6. Spread 1 cup of sauce over bottom of baking dish. Scoop 3/4 cup of filling onto each tortilla. Roll up tortillas and place them in dish. Spread remaining sauce over the top.
7. Bake uncovered for 20-25 minutes, until the enchiladas are heated through.
8. Meanwhile, make the avocado-cilantro lime sauce: in a food processor, process the cilantro until minced. Add the avocado, lime juice, sea salt, garlic powder, and 3 tablespoons water and process until creamy, stopping to scrape down the bowl as needed.
9. When the enchiladas are ready to serve, plate them individually and drizzle or spread some of the avocado-cilantro cream sauce on top of each. Garnish with cilantro and green onion, if desired.